In response to some questions he got from a student, Evan Coury has shared the answers to his questions about software development and engineering:
I found his questions to be well-posed and thoughtful, so I figured I'd post my responses as a blog post. I'll be sending this post to Jordan, so if anyone has additional comments or advice for the kid, please feel free to leave some wisdom in the comments!
Some of the questions include:
- Describe the duties and responsibilities of someone working in software engineering.
- Do you have assignments that seem to drag on forever, or are they usually pretty quick?
- Are there any specific tools or equipment required for your job?
- What are the advantages/disadvantages?
- So do most people work for themselves, private industry, or the government?
You can read Evan's answers to these and more in the full post.