Freelancers Union, a national non-profit organization, represents the needs and concerns of today's independent workforce through advocacy, information and service. We are passionate about our mission to improve working life for independent workers - a community representing 30% of the U.S workforce. And we're the people behind all those insurance ads with the beehive that you see on the New York subways.
We are seeking well-rounded and experienced Web Developers to create and maintain various online products and services. We work with a diverse set of technologies and our projects span multiple domains - from health insurance to political action.
You should have experience with:
- Python, Java or PHP5
- Database design and SQL
- (Obviously!) Developing for the web (working knowledge of HTTP, caching, sessions, etc.)
- Developing in a Linux environment
- Administering web servers (specifically Apache or Lighttpd)
It would be great if you also knew about:
- Application deployment and maintenance with Make, Maven, setuptools, and simple shell scripts
- Frameworks like web.py, Django, Restlet, and Spring
- Back-end queuing/messaging - ActiveMQ
- Progressive enhancement techniques / graceful degradation
Lastly, you'll get special consideration if:
- you are an electronic toy instrument virtuoso
- you can make a delicious grilled cheese
- you have uncanny accuracy with Nerf weapons
If we sound like an organization in which you can develop and thrive, please email your resume with a cover letter including salary requirement to: email@example.com. Resumes without cover letter/salary requirement will not be considered.
Our offices are located in DUMBO, one stop in Brooklyn off the A, C or F and one block from the East River and Fulton-Ferry State Park.
For more information, please visit our website at http://www.freelancersunion.org/