A Software Engineer's Job
August 05, 2014 @ 11:07:54
voice your opinion now!
Sherif Ramadan has a new post to his site today that tries to answer the question "what does a software developer really do?"
As a software engineer I have to learn to see things differently, because my job requires that I solve problems. Though not only is it important that I come up with a solution, but equally important that I can express the solution in code. [...] It is equally important to recognize that not all problems have technical solutions. Some problems are better solved by social solutions.
He talks about the influence that some of the major services have had on the social aspects of our lives and how they're mostly a "convenience to mankind". He suggests that the job of a software engineer has multiple aspects, and not just technical ones. They're required to see things differently, be able to understand the problem well and express the solution in a clear and practical set of code.
The engineer must figure out which problems are worth solving through technology, in order to save people time and money, and defer those which do not to more social means. Let humans do what they do best and computers do what they do best.
Fruux Seeks PHP Developers (Münster, Germany)
June 04, 2012 @ 08:00:57
voice your opinion now!
||PHP Engineer (m/f)
We are looking for great PHP programmers. There's many ways to put this, so we'll keep it simple: If you love developing in PHP, you're aware of the latest trends and you have enough experience under your belt, you may well be what we're looking for.
You'll get to work on scalability problems, work with new technology, such as Silex, Composer, LessCSS and Backbone.js. You won't be working on browser compatibility all day, but there is a front-end component. You must be willing to relocate and legally allowed to work in Münster, Germany. We can help with work visas, if required.
- Working on any part of the stack, including:
- Create web or mobile applications using primarily PHP.
- Work on the DAV / REST service layer.
- Implement web interfaces using HTML5, LessCSS, and Backbone.js / jQuery.
- Plenty of LAMP experience.
- A solid grasp of web security.
- Great to have: An active GitHub account.
To apply, submit your information here
Wikimedia Foundation Seeks Senior Software Developer (San Francisco, CA)
May 18, 2012 @ 07:22:40
voice your opinion now!
||San Francisco, CA
||Senior Software Developer
Some of the projects you'll work on:
- Develop new experimental editor engagement features for Wikimedia sites.
- Extend MediaWiki software to support new experimental features.
- Participate in periodic technology meetings for design, development and testing of experimental features.
- Scrum master for development team.
- 5+ years experience with rapid iterative software development processes, ability to quickly grasp requirements, derive UI workflow and develop functionality.
- Experience deploying code into high transaction volume production environments.
- Experience with A/B testing, cross-browser testing, debugging.
- Knowledge of Agile Methodologies such as Scrum and Extreme Programming (XP). ScrumMaster training preferred.
- Familiarity with version control systems/continuous integration tools (we use Git/Gerrit/Jenkins).
- Must be able to meet aggressive timelines, iterate rapidly, and switch rapidly across multiple projects.
- Strong communication skills: Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively; have strong written and oral communication skills as well as be able to collaborate easily within a cross-functional team.
- B.S. or M.S. Computer Science or related field preferred.
Extra Points if you have:
- Experience with MediaWiki and other open source PHP-based content management systems
- Experience in the Wikipedia community
- Experience contributing to a major Open Source project
- Understanding of free culture / free software /open source
- Experience working with online volunteers.
- Experience with wikis and participatory production environments.
- Good sense of humor
- Being creative, highly motivated, hard-working and ability to work effectively in multiple cultural contexts are great assets
- Comfortable working in an open, highly collaborative, consensus-oriented environment
Please provide URLs to any existing open source software work you may have done (your own software or patches to other packages) if possible. We'd love to see what you can do!
About the Wikimedia Foundation
The Wikimedia Foundation is the non-profit organization that operates Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. According to comScore Media Metrix, Wikipedia and the other projects operated by the Wikimedia Foundation receive more than 482 million unique visitors per month, making them the 5th most popular web property worldwide. Available in more than 270 languages, Wikipedia contains more than 21 million articles contributed by a global volunteer community of more than 100,000 people. Based in San Francisco, California, the Wikimedia Foundation is an audited, 501(c)(3) charity that is funded primarily through donations and grants. The Wikimedia Foundation was created in 2003 to manage the operation of Wikipedia and its sister projects. It currently employs 130 staff members. Wikimedia is supported by local chapter organizations in 38 countries or regions.
To apply, submit your information here (Jobvite)
RealPage, Inc. Seeks PHP Developer (Carrolton, Tx)
May 03, 2012 @ 13:40:53
voice your opinion now!
We're looking for a PHP developer that is a motivated, creative, critical thinker with a great
sense of humor. This position is part of a fast-paced marketing team and is responsible
for maintenance and development of our public website. This position includes maintaining
existing Joomla and WordPress systems, adding new features and enhancements to them as
needed and managing integration with marketing automation software and CRM (Salesforce
and Marketo). Ideal candidate should have a strong working knowledge of Open Source
written and verbal communication skills and be able to work independently and as part of a
Responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Will work with Internet Development Team to meet technical expectations and goals
- Will have responsibility for one or more technical aspects of development
- Maintain project timelines and identify obstacles prior to critical deadlines
- Will be responsible for training other team members as necessary
- Will create documentation for internal team members
- Will maintain the Company's social media sites
- Will identify and recommend where new technologies may be incorporated
- Undergraduate degree in Marketing or Computer Science and/or equivalent experience
- Strong PHP 5 Skills
- Solid Open Source CMS framework experience (Joomla and Wordpress Expert)
- jQuery/AJAX experience
- Experience working in a repository/version environment such as GitHub or SVN
- 5+ years in the IT industry and a good understanding of the full life cycle of development
- Social Media platform experience
- Familiarity with SEO principles
- Integration with marketing automation software and CRM (SalesForce and Marketo)
- Strong analysis, problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Demonstrated interest in, knowledge of, and enthusiasm for Internet technologies
- Strong business acumen and desire to deliver service excellence to customers
- Must be self-motivated and have strong communication skills, written and oral
- Must be able to succeed in a dynamic team environment and be open to overtime when
Contact: Kelly Williams at RealPage, Inc. email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Zend Job Queue
January 13, 2012 @ 08:37:31
voice your opinion now!
In this most recent post to PHPMaster.com Alex Stetsenko takes a look at the Zend Job Queue functionality, a part of the Zend Server installation. He talks about some basic usage to make HTTP requests and a more extended example showing report generation.
Web applications usually follow a synchronous communication model. However, non-interactive and long-running tasks (such as report generation) are better suited for asynchronous execution. One way to off-load tasks to run at a later time, or even on a different server, is use the Job Queue module available as a part of Zend Server 5 (though not as part of the Community Edition). Job Queue allows job scheduling based on time, priority, and even dependencies
In his two examples, he shows the code involved to create a new Queue object and define a HttpJob in it. The first just calls a "sample.php" script that's exposed as a part of your external-facing site and shows how you can get the current status of the job. The more advanced example shows a call to a "report.php" script with a set of options defining things like "type", "length" and "priority". He also points out some other options that can do similar things like Gearman, NodeJs and RabbitMQ.
Options Consulting Solutions Seeks PHP Developer Team Lead (Toronto, Canada)
April 26, 2011 @ 17:35:26
voice your opinion now!
||Options Consulting Solutions (Recruiting Agency)
||Toronto, Ontario, Canada
||PHP Developer Team Lead
My client is a developer of high-traffic, large-scale websites and currently has 5 PHP Developer Team Lead roles available due to aggressive growth. Centrally located in Toronto, competitive salaries, cutting edge technology and a flat structure that allows for growth and development. All in all a great environment. They are more than willing to sponsor/relocate candidates for these positions for the U. S., U.K. and Western Europe.
Reporting to the Development Manager, this role is responsible for the development of large scale Internet web sites. We are responsible for evaluation, design, selection and implementation of pragmatic, cost effective technologies, to support our various clients' business models.
- Proven team building and leadership experience in a web development environment
- Staff training and team development skills and experience
- Strong written/verbal communication skills
- Experienced in estimating effort and elapsed time required to complete project deliverables.
- Skilled in both Object Oriented and Non-Object Oriented Design and programming techniques.
- Several years of skill in PHP and at least one other object oriented language such as perl or Java.
- Experience designing with large scale distributed databases.
- Strong business and technical analytical ability so as to create robust technical design documentation from business requirements documentation.
- Proven ability to define success criteria to meet and measure quality expectations.
- Motivating and leading a team of 6 to 10 application developers.
- Provide feedback on business requirements documentation to ensure resolution of any apparent ambiguity or contradictions.
- Functional Breakdown, Design, Programming, testing and maintaining web site applications to support the business requirements.
- Perform impact analysis for design modification and obtain signoff from the Architecture Team.
- Participation in the selection and implementation of third party software to support design where it is practicable.
- Communicating with several third party billing processors to setup and maintain robust ecommerce billing solutions.
- Appropriate documentation for each development step - including functional, design, and testing specifications.
- Developing and documenting workload estimates (ie: Creation of workload breakdown plan to define and track software development efforts)
- Delivering functionality within these estimated effort and time frames
- Selection, implementation and/or modification of web development practices and methodologies to support continuous improvement efforts.
- Provide assistance to junior programmers to generate Low Level Design documentation for new or modified functionality.
- Conduct Design reviews with Technical Architect, Project Manager and Manager of Software Development for final design approvals.
- Conduct documentation and code reviews for their team members to ensure standards compliance.
- Define test methodology and use cases to analyze and verify software programs, forms, reports and interfaces.
- Communicate issues and status information to Project Management Office concerning system development activities.
- Liaison with Project Management Office to resolve scheduling conflict and project dependencies.
- Update system data and prepare conversion requirement as necessary for new implementation and production rollout.
- Participate in project status review meetings with other Team Leads and the Development Manager
- 5-6+ years of PHP 4/5 design/coding/testing/implementing using Open Source approach
- 4+ years of Object Orientation design and development experience for large scale distributed web applications
- Linux, Mac O/SX, MySQL, PHP, Apache/Light HTTP technologies experience
- Computer Science trained graduate or equivalent work experience
For more information contact Kenneth Cosgrove at email@example.com
FireScope Seeks Experienced Web Application Developer/Manager (Dallas, TX)
April 26, 2011 @ 16:19:00
voice your opinion now!
||Experienced Web Application Developer/Manager
Flexible hours, great pay and a fun atmosphere awaits the ideal candidate for this position.
Fun, dynamic software development company in North Dallas looking to hire an experienced web applications developer on a contract-to-perm basis.
The ideal candidate will possess extensive experience in the following:
- PHP (experienced with Object and Class PHP methods) (5 yrs+)
- Applications project lead experience - includes managing project lifecycle from concept, requirements gathering, development .. through testing.
- MySQL - must have experiences with complex queries, store procedures. (3 yrs+)
- Linux (Red Hat)
Ideal candidate must be able to self-manage for multiple tasks, able to adapt to changing circumstances and have 3-5 years direct experience in business web application development. Must be able to work well alone or as a team.
Please submit your resume as soon as possible. Position is 30 day contract-to-perm.
Applicants must be US citizen or be able to prove legal work status
Please send resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org Subject: PHP Developer Position
Don't see your event here?
Let us know!