In a new post to his blog today Chris Hartjes talks about the trials and tribulations he had when trying to test POST requests in his Zend Framework application with Zend_Test/PHPUnit.
I had done a refactoring of the way a model was pulling in stats for running backs and receivers for a fantasy game. As a result, in production (you suck Chris) you could not see results for those players. The data was there, I had not properly tested things. A familiar situation. So, I fixed the code and wrote my more-specific-than-before unit tests, but I decided I also wanted to make sure that the output on the page itself worked correctly. This began the descent into madness.
He found several examples of ways to test POST requests but none of them worked in his situation. They used an object chaining method that just didn't cooperate for him, so he figured out another way. The code for it's included in the post - it uses the getRequest method to set up and send the POST request.