In a recent post to the CatsWhoCode.com site Alex Denning takes a look at ten ways you can help stop those dreaded comment spammers on your WordPress blog.
Spam is a nuisance, and as bloggers, we have all experienced a flood of spam every now and then. Not only is it a pain, but it can slow down your blog and use up your resources. In this post we'll look at ten ways to combat spam.
Here's his list of suggestions - some can be combined with others to give you additional protection:
- Install Akismet
- Ask your readers to do 1+1
- Stop spam trackbacks
- Make users login to comment
- Ban spammers by IP
- Ban spammers by IP, on a massive scale
- Deny comment posting to no referrer requests
- Stop content theives
- Stop spammers stealing your images