On Reddit.com there's a conversation kicked off by user swiftpants about making the move from procedural PHP programming to the world of object-oriented programming. They ask for advice from the community for the next steps to take to make the jump.
One thing I always have in the back of my head is that all my code is procedural and I should be making use of classes and ?? more. I have a very basic understanding of OO programming but I rarely implement it. Is there a good book or online guide that can get me on my way to OO programming in php. I am especially looking for feed back from self taught programmers.
There's lots of comments on the post talking about everything from:
- Introductory videos from KillerPHP
- Reading lots of other people's (OOP) code
- That OOP is more about code reusing and simplicity (DRY) than abstraction.
- You can learn a lot by working with one of the MVC/OO frameworks. Download one and build something.
- The suggestion of phptherightway.com
Have any other thoughts on the best ways to learn OOP in PHP? Share them here!