The latest post on Chris Jones's blog walks you through the process, step-by-step, of how to build PHP 5.3 with support for the Oracle HTTP server included with the 11g version of the database.
I get the impression that not a lot of people in the PHP community are using Itanium. There are enough warnings during PHP compilation that would make me extremely uncomfortable using it for production applications. A PHP on Itanium installation bug that I logged long ago has not been patched, indicating to me that not many PHP people are investing time in the platform. I can't recommend using Itanium platform for PHP. Anyway, I had a need and here are the steps for posterity.
It's a pretty simple process (if you're used to compiling your own software):
- Checks the OS and compiler to ensure needed tools are installed
- Set up the Oracle environment variables
- Set up the PHP environment
- Copy over the needed header files
- Extract PHP and modify its configure slightly
- make distclean and then configure