I think, this article tells you very basic things that are not so important compared to others… so: I will tell you the things you should really check now … then what you should do and why … and you don't have to read much.
He breaks it down into six major points (with a little explanation for each):
- Benchmark using tools, not just microtime
- Install APC for an easy performance boost
- Caching is good, but your application should perform well without it too
- Log all background processes too (start, end, errors, etc)
- Database indexes are a good thing
- Load testing is a good thing, but planning for a high load is even better