The mission of the Healthy City Project is to improve the ability of low-income, underserved children, youth, and their families to access services and to facilitate smarter resource planning throughout L.A. County. To this end, Healthy City (HC) has created a user friendly GIS mapping website that provides access to the largest database of community resources and localized demographic, health, and economic data for all of L.A. County. Always on the cutting edge of technology, HealthyCity.org is widely recognized as a national model in how to re-purpose GIS technology for public sector use. HC was recently recognized as a featured project for the Netsquared 2008 Conference (N2Y3) and is in the process of statewide expansion. Along with our online site, HC provides direct research and technical assistance to governmental (elected and otherwise), philanthropic, and community based institutions including community engaged mapping, policy research, and website development. The Healthy City Project is a program within the Advancement Project LA, a nonprofit research and public policy organization near downtown Los Angeles.
Healthy City is now seeking a highly qualified Web Developer/PHP Programmer with working knowledge and experience to help lead its successful online site and various research and policy portals. This position will work directly with Healthy City’s Technology Manager and Technology consultants assisting in multiple aspects of the project including the website design, development, maintenance and administration for a wide range of research/technology projects.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Construct, develop, code, debug and maintain of interactive mapping website applications.
- Participate in project status review meeting with Team Lead.
- Assist in setting scope of work and timelines for various technology projects, including updating and maintaining existing sites as well as development of new websites.
- Plan and implement enhancement of existing and creation of new Web-based applications, including but not limited to interactive features and tools that facilitate data analysis.
- Participation in systems analysis and design efforts regarding user interfaces, definition of process specifications and design of application structures.
- Conform to in-house software development processes, and defined software design methodologies for the development and implementation of Internet based applications
- Perform code evaluation and make recommendations for software adaptation
- Generate application test data as necessary and validate any data conversion requirements for final implementation and production rollout.
- Database management; maintain data for healthycity.org as well as other projects; conduct data preparation and clean-up.
- Liaison as necessary between the Technology Manager and Technology consultants regarding www.HealthyCity.org and various project websites.
- Timely communication of issues and status information to Technology Manager concerning system development activities.
- Quality assurance testing and usability testing for various project websites.