DPC11 Distributed Systems Tutorial
July 01, 2011 @ 10:47:05
voice your opinion now!
In a new post to the Ibuildings techPortal today, Patrick van der Velden shares some of his thoughts about one of the presentations given at this year's Dutch PHP Conference - Think like an ant, distribute the workload.
[Helgi's] presentation started off explaining to us why distributing can be a good thing by pointing out three significant aspects: budget, efficiency and perception. Budget-wise, for a distributed application there is no need to invest in a big, expensive and hard to maintain server that runs the entire application by itself. A company can save a significant amount of money investing in a collection of smaller or virtual servers or even use "the cloud".
Patrick goes on to mention some of the other key points Helgi made about distributing the workload out from a point of user contact to other "workers", decoupling your application into functional pieces, designing for distributed computing from the start and making internal APIs between the sections of the application to make communication simpler. The slides of Helgi's presentation are also posted on Slideshare.
SoftLayer Seeks Software Engineer - Systems Development (Dallas, Tx)
January 11, 2011 @ 11:24:48
voice your opinion now!
||Software Engineer - Systems Development
The Software Development team is challenged with solving complex problems that will advance our business to the next level. We build the most innovative systems in the industry using the latest technology to deliver creative solutions for our customers.
We are looking for software engineers that have heavy experience in PHP MVC frameworks, Object Oriented Development and agile programming. Our team is charged with developing new products from a wide variety of web technologies into large scale systems to support the international SoftLayer customer base.
If you are a talented developer who seeks responsibility, thrives when empowered, and understands the importance of personal accountability, then we would like to talk with you. As a member of the SoftLayer team, you have the opportunity to directly impact the continued success of the company. We strive to make SoftLayer a place where you want to be - a place where you are proud to work and where you are motivated to produce the best results possible.
- Design, develop, and implement Object Oriented PHP applications in SOA environment
- Take ownership and manage projects through the entire lifecycle
- Create SOAP/XML web services
- Integrate enterprise-grade products and services into a web-based portal
- Projects will vary in size and scope depending on which modules of the platform you are working
- 5+ years professional programming experience
- Strong understanding of OO design principles
- Experience with a version control system (subversion preferred)
- Strong analytical skills and data structures/algorithms fundamentals
- A positive attitude and willingness drive projects to completion in a fast moving environment
ADDITIONAL TECHNICAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Zend framework experience
- Experience administering a Linux system
- Experience in a wide variety of web technologies
- Experience in scripting
- Project Management/Reporting
BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, MIS, and/or demonstrated industry experience on similar successful projects
Headquartered in Dallas, SoftLayer is the innovation leader in on-demand web hosting and data center services. As the largest hosting company in the world, SoftLayer lets customers create dedicated, cloud, or seamless hybrid computing environments, leveraging the company's world-class data center facilities in Dallas, Houston, Seattle, and Washington D.C., and network Points of Presence nationwide. SoftLayer integrates and automates all elements of its platform, empowering enterprises of any size with complete control, security, scalability, and ease-of-management via a leading Customer Portal and Open API.
If you would enjoy working in a dynamic environment and are looking for an opportunity to become part of a stellar team of professionals, we invite you to apply today.
For more information or to submit your resume, please see the career section of our website at http://www.softlayer.com/about/careers/
Apex Systems (Recruiter) Seeks Senior PHP Developer (Tampa, FL)
September 22, 2008 @ 15:04:46
voice your opinion now!
||Apex Systems (Recuriter)
||Senior PHP Developer
Apex Systems is a leading provider of technical and professional staffing solutions to Fortune 1000 and mid-sized clients across North America. With a core focus on Information Technology, Business Applications, Accounting & Finance, Legal, Telecommunications, and Engineering, and a proven recruiting model, Apex Systems has become one of the most in-demand staffing companies around for providing short-term, long-term, and temp-to-perm staffing solutions.
Apex Systems is looking for a PHP developer to work onsite at a large healthcare client of ours in Tampa, FL.
You will be designing and building systems on a PHP / MySQL platform. You will be improving existing functionality and building new features and systems. You will be involved in every step of the process including design, implementation, deployment, support and maintenance.
- Designs and constructs web pages/sites including incorporating graphic user interface (GUI) features and other techniques.
- Maintains and provides ongoing design of the website.
- Interviews clients to help them clarify goals.
- Designs digitized images, banners, bullets, charts, image maps and other graphics to enhance appearance of site.
- Applies knowledge of programming techniques and computer internet systems.
- Custom tailors a plan for site using combination of graphic and written material, and modifies proposal as necessary.
- Writes, or edits and formats, copy to present message effectively.
- Designs screen displays to accomplish goals of site.
- Provides specifications, using flowcharts and diagrams, into sequence of detailed instructions and logical steps for coding into language that can be processed by computer.
- Converts project specifications into sequence of detailed instructions and logical steps for coding into language that can be processed by computer, applying knowledge of computer programming techniques and computer languages.
- Applies knowledge of database design standards and database management.
- Programs, runs and tests programs.
- Determines if project requires new programs or modifying existing programs that access data stored in databases.
- Replaces, deletes, or modifies codes to correct errors.
- Writes documentation to describe program development, logic, coding, and corrections.
- Assists in solving operating problems with site.
- Reads manuals, periodicals, and technical reports to learn ways to develop programs.
- Manages version control s/w including test to production promotion model.
- Modifies/compiles underlying system components (e.g. Apache, )
- Designs and implements new databases.
- Generally supervised environment.
- Effort requires following well-defined standards.
- Decisions and actions may affect programs or projects.
- Budgets own time to carry out assigned duties.
- Multiple but similar tasks requiring some choices from among clearly defined alternatives.
- Differing but recurring problems and/or duties.
- Required procedural proficiency and attention to policies and guidelines.
- Thinking may be guided by standard practices.
- Key benchmark: procedural proficiency, thinking guided by standard practices.
- Individual performance of or supervision of several different activities usually in a single function.
- Requires integration and coordination of work.
- E-Commerce and/or highly transactional databases
- UNIX exp w/Sun/Solaris or Linux
- Object Oriented Programming
- LAMP and PDF.Lib a plus
Please send your CV to Pbuell@apexsystemsinc.com , including phpdelevoper.org in the subject of your email.
Red Ventures Seeks Sr. Systems Analyst/Web Developer (Charlotte, NC)
February 08, 2008 @ 16:17:00
voice your opinion now!
||Sr. Systems Analyst/Web Developer
WHAT WE DO:
Very simply put- Red Ventures acquires customers for Great
Brands through a myriad of direct marketing channels. We combine
analytical marketers, high performing and often unique direct response
marketing channels, a superior web and sales infrastructure, with a
robust technology and reporting platform. We partner with industry
leading brands such as DIRECTV, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, and ADT Home
Security Systems. Red Ventures success has recently been recognized by
Inc Magazine with the #4 ranking on their Fastest Growing Private
Companies in the US list and by DIRECTV as their Dealer of the Year!
WHY SHOULD YOU WANT TO WORK HERE?
Red Ventures' company culture is what
gives us our competitive advantage and what attracts top talent from all
over the nation. We give our employees the freedom to drive their career
direction and to create their own growth opportunities. There is an
amazing energy and determination to our team but it comes in a casual
office environment with no bureaucracy and no dress code. To be a real
player in our company you must be passionate about your work and we
expect that passion to run over into the rest of your life. Red Ventures
requires that our employees have a healthy work life balance where fun
and excitement are a common theme.
We offer unique benefits to our employees such as company sponsored
Happy Hours, Cook Outs on our back patio and quick games of 3 on 3 on
the basketball court. Tired of paying for parking? We have free parking
and our office is conveniently surrounded by restaurants, shops, a
fitness facility, and a daycare center. While we are very proud of our
current benefits, we look internally for suggestions on ways to
continually improve our benefits!
We offer a top-notch work environment for our developers, that includes
Eclipse with SVN using two development machines and three monitors!
SR. SYSTEMS ANALYST/WEB DEVELOPER POSITION:
Due to our growth we are seeking a Sr. Systems Analyst/Web Developer to
be in a lead technical role on one of our businesses. This position
requires the developer to have the business savvy to translate vague
business requirements into tangible and accurate technical requirements
as well as to anticipate future requirements within the design of new
systems. This person should have experience in real-world LAMP
(Linux/FreeBSD, Apache, MySQL, PHP/Perl) development as well as a proven
record participating and working with the business side of a company.
This person must be well-experienced in large scale complex database
design, query creation, and data integrity checking, processing, and
The primary job responsibility for this position is to provide PHP
programming and functionality for a wide variety of consumer-related
websites, intranets, extranets and web-based applications. This entails
designing, evaluating, updating and maintaining OO and non-OO
applications in PHP with a heavy emphasis on database design and
reporting. This is the perfect opportunity for LAMP Developers looking
to play a key role in creating enabling technology for a successful
online and offline marketing company. This position will have a large
development component based on the business requirements produced during
business strategy sessions and day to day business requirements and
Successful candidates will have demonstrable experience building real
online applications in a LAMP environment and will be able to make a
meaningful contribution from day one. They will be comfortable working
with team members at all levels and departments within the organization.
These individuals will be willing to share their opinions and insights
with business leaders on a daily basis in order to affect rapid decision
cycles and effective technical solutions to business requirements.
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Sciences or similar field
- 6+ years of solid PHP and MySQL development
- Ability to translate business requirements into system design
- Ability to partner and work in a fast-paced, collaborative team environment
- Strong debugging skills and the ability to easily and quickly read and
- modify existing code
- Sense of humor
- Desire to roll up your sleeves and dig into the work!
Elluminates Software Seeks Software/Systems Architect (Chantilly, Virginia)
January 15, 2008 @ 15:08:31
voice your opinion now!
Junior, Mid-Level & Senior Positions Available
We are looking for a full-time system/software architect. This person will be part of a high-performance team made up of an elite group of architects and developers. Strong communication and conceptual thinking is a must. This position is for someone who enjoys complex technical challenges and working with other senior level architects to build a system. Our architect is hands-on and performs other activities such as writing, analysis on alternative design paths, and diagramming design application interconnects.
Our architect is our representative to technical managers and clients in our high-performance, defense and security-minded environment.
In order to be considered for this position, you must:
- Be able to obtain a security clearance
- Have hands-on development using object oriented principles, software patterns, algorithm analysis, language specific experience '" J2EE or .NET
- Experience with designing Oracle database and SQL Server based applications and systems.
- Experience with clustering (e.g., Microsoft Clustering, Oracle clustering, Weblogic clustering or Load balancing).
- XML knowledge (SOAP, REST, etc)
- Have experience with Capacity Planning
- Have security experience, be familiar with software/system attack vectors such as buffer overflows, etc and be able to explain how the attacks work
- Be comfortable in speaking in front of technical individuals and management
- Thrive wearing multiple hats, be flexible, and be able to work effectively in an informal entrepreneurial setting.
- Have an exceptional level of integrity, raw intelligence, creativity, energy, and passion.
- Have outstanding communications skills.
- Have a technical BS degree or higher.
- DITSCAP, FISMA or related process experience with custom applications
For more information on Elluminates Software see their website
Financial Systems Engineer (Raleigh, NC)
October 03, 2006 @ 15:08:00
voice your opinion now!
||Spencer Reed Group, LLC
||Financial Systems Engineer
Take us to the next step by helping with the evolution of our e-commerce and product fulfillment systems. This position will have a specific focus on the challenges associated with internationalization. Strong attention to detail is a must. Email Carrie Smith at email@example.com for more information.
Sandro Groganz's Blog:
eZ System's New Strategy & Slides
July 28, 2006 @ 05:52:53
voice your opinion now!
Sandro Groganz has two new posts related to eZ systems today, one detailing their new strategy in the PHP market and the other, the set of slides from the eZ publish Conference this year.
In their new strategy staatement, eZ systems states why they develop the software they do, how it all relates to the eZ publish CMS, and a mention of their plans to built on top of the eZ platfom.
They look at the "mature market" that is the realm of PHP, noting it's a perfect time for them to make this move. They also talk about their development being done in "the PHP way", popular in the community. Their new focus is one driven by the community, too, adapting itself to the current climate of the market. They're also seeking to raise up the standard of their development, at the same time, raising the bar for other PHP platforms out there.
The second post just notes that the slides from the eZ publish Conference 2006 are now online. They primarily discuss the recent developments with the eZ platform and eZ application server.
Tim Priebe's Blog:
Content Management Systems Demystified
June 02, 2006 @ 06:07:11
voice your opinion now!
In this new post on Tim Priebe's blog, he looks at a variety of the content manage ment system offerings out there on the web today, including several PHP-based options.
The list includes:
- PHPNuke (general)
- Drupal (general)
- Coppermine (images)
- WordPress (blogging)
- phpBB (forums)
Tim includes links to all of the resources and screenshots of each package in action. It's interesting to have a summary of some of the more major offerings lined up like this - a good starting place to branch from for other CMS research.
Don't see your event here?
Let us know!