Programming language subreddits and their choice of words
August 21, 2014 @ 12:14:13
voice your opinion now!
Tobias Hermann has put together some interesting statistics pulled from the various programming subreddits on the Reddit.com site. He measures the choice of words for each community based on how own they're used.
While reading about various programming languages, I developed a hunch about how often different languages are mentioned by other communities and about the average conversational tones used by relative members. To examine if it was just selective perception on my site, an unconscious confirmation of stereotypes, or a valid observation I collected and analysed some data, i.e. all comments (about 300k) written to submissions (about 40k) in respective programming language subreddits from 2013-08 to 2014-07 using PRAW and SQLite. In this article I will present some selected results.
He first covers the "mutual mentions" for each of the groups with the largest connection from the PHP subreddit being to Python. He also compares the results to the TIOBE index for each (average popularity). He gets into more details about the words used (abstract, category, pure, etc) with PHP placing somewhere roughly in the middle for most data sets. The most interesting result, however, came with the set of curse words and the frequency of their use. In the PHP Reddit community the usage of these terms is, by far, the most of any group. Unfortunately, PHP also ranks lower on the "happiness" scale.
If you're interested in seeing how he came up with these results, you can get the raw results and the code he used.
Themes in CakePHP 3, A step by step HowTo
August 21, 2014 @ 11:45:38
voice your opinion now!
On the Sanisoft blog there's a recent post that gives you a step-by-step guide to working with themes in the upcoming version 3 release of the CakePHP framework.
Almost every application I code has themes which either the end user can change or the admin can set or can be changed on the fly. Doing all these things was easy in CakePHP 2.x. With the first alpha release of CakePHP 3.x I was naturally keen to try out how theming worked with V3.
He shows how to convert an existing theme into one that will be compatible with the 3.x version of the framework. He breaks it down into seven steps (well, technically eight) to make it easier to follow along:
- Step 0: Make the "posts" table
- Step 1: Bake the model, controller and views for the Posts
- Step 2: Bake in the "Twit" plugin
- Step 3: Download and install the Twitter Bootstrap
- Step 4: Create the "default.ctp" file with the content given
- Step 5: Make the "index.ctp" template with the given content
- Step 6: Add the line to the AppController to use the new theme
- Step 7: Reload and verify the results
php[world] Conference Five Amazing Keynotes
August 21, 2014 @ 10:33:24
voice your opinion now!
The php[architect] group has officially announced the five keynote speakers they'll be having at this year's php[world] conference conference.
We are excited to announce today the amazing keynote speakers that we have lined up for our php[world] conference this November. We've worked hard to find the best speakers and talks that cover the breadth of the PHP experience. We want php[world] to be a conference that pulls together all the different fragmented communities of PHP into one place to share ideas, and our keynotes reflect that mission.
The keynote speakers for this year come from a wide range of communities:
- Luke Stokes: "Turning Your Code Into a Company: The Parts They Don't Tell You."
- Angela Byron: "Drupal 8: A Story of Growing Up and Getting Off the Island"
- Jeffrey A. "jam" McGuire: "Idealism as code: From philosophy to empowerment"
- Andrew Nacin: "Trust, Community, and Automatic Updates"
The final "keynote" is actually a panel of seven developers representing some of the major projects in the PHP ecosystem: WordPress, Drupal, Magento, Joomla!, Symfony, Laravel, and Zend Framework. You can find out more about these keynotes here or just check out the conference on the main conference site.
SitePoint PHP Blog:
PINQ - querify your datasets - introduction
August 21, 2014 @ 09:20:19
voice your opinion now!
The SitePoint PHP blog has posted the first part of a new series they're releasing about querying your data with Pinq. It's a PHP-based query tool that provides a fluent interface for searching and traversing your data. In this first post of the series Taylor Ren introduces you to the library and shows some basic usage.
You may have heard of LINQ (Language-Integrated Query), a "set of features introduced in Visual Studio 2008 that extends powerful query capabilities to the language syntax of C# and Visual Basic". It provides necessary interfaces and syntax to perform various queries on a given dataset so that operations like filtering, sorting, grouping, aggregating, etc can be performed. PINQ (PHP Integrated Query) is "based off the .NET's Linq, and unifies querying across arrays/iterators and external data sources, in a single readable and concise fluent API".
He talks about normal searching (equals matching) and "faceted searching", narrowing down the results piece by piece until you find what you need. He gives an example with some sample database data and shows the results of a simple query with a price filter and grouped by author. He includes the code to make it happen (inside a simple Silex application) too. He then takes a deeper look at the LINQ queries and how related statements are handled.
Packagist Latest Releases for 08.21.2014
August 21, 2014 @ 08:02:05
voice your opinion now!
Recent releases from the Packagist:
- mc/apidocs (v1.1)
- earthit/cmip-rest (0.0.60, 0.0.51)
Collection-Modifiers-ID-Property REST framework
- likewinter/sypex-geo-laravel4 (0.1)
Sypex Geo library realization for Laravel 4
- silverstripe/translatable (2.0.4)
Allows translation of DataObject and SiteTree records into multiple languages
- codeception/codeception (2.0.5)
BDD-style testing framework
- oanhnn/cache (1.1)
Cache is a plugin for CakePHP that allows you to easily cache find results
- opichon/autotabs (2.1.1, 2.1.0)
JQuery plugin to generate tabs from page markup
- werx/email (0.0.1)
Composer-friendly wrapper for CI Email.
- njasm/container (1.2.2, 1.2.1, 1.2.0)
Dependency Container for PHP
- silverstripe/subsites (1.0.4)
Run multiple sites from a single SilverStripe install.
- hieu-le/wordpress-xmlrpc-client (2.3.1)
A PHP client for Wordpress websites that closely implement the XML-RPC WordPress API with full test suite built in
- facile-it/doctrine-mysql-come-back (v1.2)
Auto reconnect on Doctrine MySql has gone away exceptions on doctrine/dbal 2.3.x
- silverstripe/secureassets (1.0.2)
Adds access restrictions to folders in assets, similar to the way you secure pages
- silverstripe/queuedjobs (2.2.1)
A framework for defining and running background jobs in a queued manner
- mediawiki/header-footer (v2.1.1)
Provides per-namespace and per-page header and footer inclusion
- mediawiki/talk-right (v1.5.1)
Makes editing MediaWiki talk pages a distinct action from editing articles
- silverstripe/multivaluefield (2.0.3)
A DB field + form fields for storing multiple values in a single property (serialized).
- chtombleson/mobi2go-silverstripe (0.1)
Add Mobi2Go to your site.
- heyday/silverstripe-cacheinclude (4.0.3)
- puzzlehttp/streams (v2.1.0, v2.0.0, v1.5.1, v1.5.0, v1.4.0, v1.3.0, v1.2.0)
Fork of guzzlehttp/streams compatible with PHP 5.2+.
- alairock/quip-test (1.0.0)
An Implementation of the multi-armed bandit test. (See: http://stevehanov.ca/blog/index.php?id=132)
- ollieread/toolkit (v1.0.0)
A handy little toolkit that I use for laravel applications
- mmoreram/php-formatter (v1.0.2)
PHP custom formatter
- silverstripe/advancedworkflow (3.0.4)
Adds configurable workflow support to the CMS, with a GUI for creating custom workflow definitions.
- racztiborzoltan/doxygen-php-interface (1.0.0)
Small and very simple Doxygen interface for PHP
- gisleburt/formatter (v0.9.0)
Serialise PHP objects into other types of object (json, xml, etc)
- object-calisthenics/phpcs-calisthenics-rules (v1.0.1, v1.0.0)
PHP CodeSniffer Object Calisthenics rules/sniffs
- phresque/spork (v0.1.0)
- mkframework/mkframework (4.99.0)
A simple php framework.
- mamuz/mamuz-contact (0.2.0)
Provides simple contact form rendered by twitter-bootstrap view helper for ZF2 with Doctrine
- fluxoft/rebar-presenters-smarty (1.0.1, 1.0.0)
A Smarty presenter for Rebar.
- laurent/school-bundle (0.1.2)
Claroline plugin for school
- hatframework/hat-plugin-site (v0.1.9, v0.1.8)
- hatframework/basehat (v0.1.4)
Hat configuration files
- getgrav/grav-theme-antimatter (1.0.2)
The default theme for the Grav flat-file CMS
- fluxoft/rebar (0.5.0)
Rebar: A simple but sturdy support framework.
- vlucas/spot2 (v2.0.7)
Simple DataMapper built on top of Doctrine DBAL
- fuzaylov/bootstrap (0.2.4)
Helper library to create Bootstrap html fields
- ps/fluent-traversable (0.1.1)
Support for operating on collections and arrays by functional way. Inspired by guava's FluentIterable, java8 Stream framework and scala stuff
- webfontkit/open-sans (0.1.0)
Open Sans is a humanist sans serif typeface designed by Steve Matteson, Type Director of Ascender Corp. This version contains the complete 897 character set, which includes the standard ISO Latin 1, Latin CE, Greek and Cyrillic character sets. Open Sans was designed with an upright stress, open forms and a neutral, yet friendly appearance. It was optimized for print, web, and mobile interfaces, and has excellent legibility characteristics in its letterforms.
- thefox/phpcsrs (v1.5.0)
TheFox' PHPCS Ruleset.
- mysqldump-factory/mysqldump-factory (1.9.0)
Fully tested, mysqldump factory for PHP 5.2.17, 5.3, 5.4, 5.5
- webfontkit/roboto (0.1.0)
Roboto has a dual nature. It has a mechanical skeleton and the forms are largely geometric. At the same time, the font features friendly and open curves. While some grotesks distort their letterforms to force a rigid rhythm, Roboto doesn't compromise, allowing letters to be settled into their natural width. This makes for a more natural reading rhythm more commonly found in humanist and serif types.
- parm/parm (2.1.6)
Active Record ORM with closures and web interface
- phpdocumentor/phpdocumentor (v2.7.0)
Documentation Generator for PHP
- emergency/session-container (v1.0)
Session Container for Symfony HTTP Foundation Component
- zfcampus/zf-content-negotiation (1.0.3)
ZF2 Module providing content-negotiation features
- vierbergenlars/rad-rest-bundle (0.3.0)
- contao-components/swipe (2.0.0)
- prooph/event-store (0.4.2)
PHP EventStore Implementation
- contao-components/tinymce4 (4.0.26)
TinyMCE 4 integration for Contao Open Source CMS
- mimmi20/file-loader (2.0.1)
a class to load remote or local files
- kamilsk/cilex-service-providers (v0.1)
The revised set of service providers for Cilex.
- sdebacker/typicms (1.4.7)
Multilingual CMS build with Laravel 4.2
- stuartwakefield/platter (v0.1.0a, v0.1.1a)
Light-touch dependency injection
- rdlowrey/after (v0.3.0)
Simple PHP concurrency primitives
- hellogerard/jobby (v2.0.9)
Manage all your cron jobs without modifying crontab. Handles locking, logging, error emails, and more.
- aol/transformers (1.0.0)
A package for normalizing property names and types from an external data store.
- gajus/fuss (2.0.6, 2.0.5, 2.0.4, 2.0.3, 2.0.2, 2.0.0)
The Facebook SDK for PHP provides an interface to the Graph API.
- wordpress/skeleton (0.0.9)
WordPress project skeleton to focus only your own source codes.
- jimbojsb/simple-asset (v0.1.13)
- jan-mike/hello-world (v1.0.5, v1.0.4, v1.0.3, v1.0.2, v1.0.0, v1.0.1)
- paper-paulon/hello-world (v1.0.4, v1.0.3, v1.0.2, v1.0.1, v1.0.0)
My first composer project
- philipbrown/worldpay (v2.0.1)
A PHP wrapper for WorldPay.com
- paperjed/hello-world (v1.0.1, v1.0.0-alpha, v1.0)
My first Composer project
- paperjayar/hello-world (v1.0.1, v1.0.0)
a test package
- zfcampus/zf-apigility-admin-ui (1.0.6, 1.0.5)
Apigility Admin UI module
- sulu/sulu (0.6.3, 0.6.2)
Symfony bundle that provides basic core functionality
- papercarlo/hello-world (v1.0.1, v1.0.0)
bestest package ever
- sulu/admin-bundle (0.6.3, 0.6.2)
Symfony bundle that provides administration functionality
- paperray/helloworld (v1.1.1, v1.0.0)
My first composer
- sulu/website-bundle (0.6.1)
This sulu bundle is responsible for the websites administrated by Sulu
- sulu/content-bundle (0.6.3, 0.6.2)
The bundle responsible for content management in Sulu
- ucsf-ckm/symfony-emberjs-edition (v184.108.40.206)
The "Symfony EmberJS Edition" distribution
- cargomedia/cm (1.62.4, 1.62.3, 1.62.2)
- ice/mercuryclient-bundle (2.18.0)
Client for the ICE Mercury API
- phiber/phiber (v0.9.7)
PHP's easy MVC
- henderjon/chevron-objectloader (v0.1.0)
pass an object to each callable returned by recursively loading files
- bkwld/library (2.12.1, 2.12.0)
Misc PHP code
- facile-it/doctrine-mysql-come-back-bundle (v1.1, v1.0)
Symfony2 bundle to try reconnect on Doctrine DBAL MySql has gone away exceptions
- antoineaugusti/laravel-sentiment-analysis (v1.1.1)
A Laravel wrapper that performs sentiment analysis over an English sentence
- ets/document-storage-bundle (0.3.2, 0.3.1, 0.3.0)
Symfony bundle that integrates with ets/document-storage
- bahulneel/phonon (0.0.2, 0.0.1)
Interesting concepts half-inched from other languages
- mojoness/phpcompatibility (1.0.0)
This is a set of sniffs for PHP_CodeSniffer that checks for PHP version compatibility.
- spekkionu/assetcachebuster (v1.1.0)
Prefixes asset urls with a unique hash which will allow invalidation of asset files cached by the browser.
- suitetea/quick-routes (0.8.1)
QuickRoutes simplifies and shortens mundane and repeated declaration of routes and controller methods.
- gnugat/redaktilo (v1.0.0-beta2, v1.0.0-beta1, v1.0.0-alpha7, v1.0.0-alpha6)
An editor allowing you to modify files programmatically
- akeneo/magento-connector-bundle (v1.0.0-RC8)
Akeneo PIM bundle to export to Magento platform
- maximebf/debugbar (1.9.15)
Debug bar in the browser for php application
- doctrine/phpcr-odm (1.2.0-rc3)
Object-Document-Mapper for PHPCR
- ckeditor/ckeditor (4.4.4)
- suitetea/modularlaravel (0.3.1)
Allows you to organize Laravel code modularly.
- easyframework/collections (v2.2.0)
Easy Framework Collection Component
- sobanvuex/php-newrelic (1.1.2)
PHP SDK for New Relic Agent API
- davekelly/static-generator (v0.1.1-beta)
Generate static HTML/JSON files from Laravel routes
- jbouzekri/config-knp-menu-bundle (2.0.0)
Configure your knp menus with yaml files accross your project bundles
- stadline/monolog-echo-handler (0.1)
A handler for Monolog that sends messages with php://output.
- m16a1/leaf-orm (0.1.1)
Quick and dirty PHP ORM for MongoDB
- adrotec/breeze.server.php (1.0.0-beta)
Breeze JS support for Symfony 2 or any other PHP 5.3+ application
- danielgsims/php-collections (1.4.1)
Collection classes for PHP
- tippingcanoe/imager (2.0.11)
Image attachment and management for your Eloquent models!
- coreorm/framework (V0.1-BETA2)
CoreORM PHP Framework For Relational Data Modelling
- elcodi/bamboo-admin (v0.2.3)
Bamboo Admin, an ecommerce admin tool built on Elcodi
- hollodotme/treemdown (v1.0.4)
A PHP class for browsing markdown files with HTML rendering, syntax highlighting and search
- lastzero/symlex (v0.3, v0.2, v0.1)
A Silex Boilerplate with Symfony DI Container
- bluetea/export-bundle (v1.0.2, v1.0.1)
BlueTea ExportBundle for the Symfony2 framework
- eleme/easyxml (v0.2.0)
PHP xml library
- orange-opensource/cf-helper-php (1.2.0)
Cloudfoundry helper in php
- fiv/parser (2.0.2)
- lf4php/lf4php-monolog (3.0.3)
This is an lf4php binding for Monolog.
- elliotchance/concise (v1.3)
Concise is test framework for using plain English and minimal code, built on PHPUnit.
- etenil/assegai (v2.1.6, v2.1.5)
A full MVC framework for PHP.
- barryvdh/laravel-dompdf (v0.4.6)
A DOMPDF Wrapper for Laravel
- linusu/bitcoin-address-validator (v0.1.2)
A simple, easy to use PHP Bitcoin address validator
- webspot/modulemanager (1.2.0, 1.1.0)
Webspot Module Manager library
- mapado/elastica-query-bundle (v1.0.2)
Query builder bundle for ElasticSearch
- markup/barcode-bundle (1.1.0)
Barcode generation bundle wrapping Zend barcode component.
- elcodi/elcodi (v0.2.5)
Barebones Ecommerce functionality for Symfony
- hatframework/hat-resource-files (v0.3.5)
- hatframework/hat-resource-email (v0.3.5)
- hatframework/hatclasses (v0.2.8)
Core classes of hat-framework
- elcodi/menu-bundle (v0.2.5)
Elcodi Menu component
- leonjza/php-nessus-ng (0.5.1, 0.5)
PHP wrapper functions for interfacing with the Nessus API
- ajf/ggon (v1.0.3, v1.0.2, v1.0.1)
Gang Garrison Object Notation parser for PHP 5.4.0
- elcodi/bamboo-fixtures (v0.2.3)
- myclabs/acl (1.2)
ACL library for Doctrine
- hatframework/hat-plugin-simplecontact (v0.1.1)
- richardsjoqvist/silverstripe-news (1.3.1)
A simple news module for SilverStripe
- elcodi/newsletter-bundle (v0.2.5)
Elcodi Newsletter component
- lookyman/nette-texy (v0.2.0)
Texy! integration into Nette Framework
- firesphere/silverstripe-newsmodule (5.1)
A ModelAdmin based newsmodule to prevent clutter in the SiteTree
- slaxweb/image-processor (0.1.0)
- intersvyaz/yii-select2 (1.1.0)
Yii select2 widget
- lucatume/wp-utils (2.1.8)
WordPress utility classes.
- richardsjoqvist/silverstripe-localdate (1.2.3)
Translates formatted date strings to the locale set with i18n::set_locale() if there is a matching language file.
- alexwenzel/laravel-commentary (v1.0.1-alpha)
A package for Laravel to post a comment on an article and to manage them.
- evlz/pest-bundle (0.2.2)
Symfony2 Pest Bundle
- raymondidema/validator (1.0.3)
Yet Another Form Validator
- cnam/gitlab-api (0.0.2)
Sdk for integration gitlab api
- jenssegers/ab (v0.1.1)
A server-side A/B testing tool for Laravel.
- webspot/application (1.1.0)
Webspot Application Framework
- anh/sape-php-client (v1.2.5)
PHP client for sape.ru
- kunstmaan/media-bundle (v2.3.22, v2.3.21)
To build your perfect website you probably need images, video's or maybe even a presentation too. The Kunstmaan Media Bundle handles all those media assets and centralizes them so you can find your content just the way you like it: fast and efficiently. No central asset management module is useful without some pretty advanced image editing functionality. To provide this we have integrated the Aviary image editing service right from the interface.
- vi-kon/laravel-smarty-view (v1.0.15)
Smarty template engine for Laravel 4
- temafey/phalcon-extjs (v0.7.6)
Extjs cms platform based on Phalcon framework
- studiobonito/silverstripe-imagefunctions (3.3.1, 3.3.0, 3.2.0)
Image Functions Module primarily adds more image functions to the Image object but it also adds some useful SiteConfig settings.
- raulfraile/ladybug-bundle (v1.0.4)
Symfony2 bundle for Ladybug library (Simple and Extensible PHP Dumper)
- etrepat/basset (v4.0.6)
A better asset management package for Laravel.
- cedx/yii-free-mobile (v0.1.0)
Free Mobile logging for Yii Framework.
- madeyourday/contao-rocksolid-custom-elements (v1.2.3)
Create your own, nestable content elements using a modular system. End the WYSIWYG chaos with your own content elements.
- catchamonkey/console-logger-bundle (v1.0.0)
Symfony2 bundles that adds logging of exceptions thrown in console commands.
- judopay/judopay-sdk (1.0.1, 1.0.0)
SDK for the Judopay API
- raulfraile/ladybug (v1.0.9)
Simple and Extensible PHP Dumper
- lucatume/wp-browser (1.3.6)
WordPress extension of the PhpBrowser class.
- civicrm/upgrade-test (0.3)
Collection of scripts and data-files for testing CiviCRM upgrades
- avisota/contao-message (2.0.6)
Manage messages within the backend.
- niktux/karma (3.2.1)
CLI tool to manage environment dependent configuration
- avisota/contao-core (2.0.7)
Avisota newslettersystem for contao
- tomaj/nette-rte-processor (2.1.0)
- ets/document-storage (0.3.0)
Provides implementations to interact with various document storage services
- m6web/monologgelf-bundle (v1.0.1)
gelf handler for monolog
- osgovernance/osgovernance (1.0.0)
Web application for implement or optimize direct democratic governments.
- rubyrainbows/route-helper (1.0.3)
A route helper library for PHP
- drmonty/smartmenus (v0.9.6)
jQuery website menu plugin. Responsive and accessible list-based website menus that work on all devices.
- slaxweb/logger (0.1.0)
Logger library used by SlaxWeb Framework
- besimple/i18n-routing-bundle (v2.3.0, v2.2.1)
Full routing internationalized on your Symfony2 project
- d9magai/ec2-metadata-getter (1.1.2)
This tool is a rewrite of the EC2 Instance Metadata API for PHP.
- slaxweb/exception (0.1.0)
SlaxWeb Exception library
- rvdv/nntp (v0.6.0)
Client for communicating with servers throught the Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) protocol.
- m8rge/curl-helper (v1.4.1)
This helper allows easy perform GET, POST queries with curl php extension.
- atlantech/news-portal-task (v0.0.3, v0.0.3-a)
News portal test task
- lucatume/wp-wrappers (2.0.4)
WordPress wrappers to streamline development of themes and plugins.
- slaxweb/ci-basecontroller (0.1.0)
BaseController for CodeIgniter
- phlogisticfugu/squirt (1.0.2)
Simple and lightweight PHP dependency injection
- alxmsl/connection (v1.0.7)
Simple library for support storage connections
- guzzlehttp/guzzle (4.2.1)
Guzzle is a PHP HTTP client library and framework for building RESTful web service clients
- nusait/nu-auth (1.2.1)
Sound of Symfony:
Episode 3 - Developer Experience
August 20, 2014 @ 12:05:07
voice your opinion now!
The Sound of Symfony podcast has posted their latest episode today: Episode #3, "Developer experience. Join hosts Magnus Nordlander and Tobias Nyholm as they talk about the Symfony project's recent emphasis on the developer experience.
In this much belated episode we talk about developer experience and getting new coders into your open source project. The episode features not one, but two interviews. First up we have a short talk with Ryan Weaver about the DX initiative and the DX hack day, and afterwards we talk to Cathy Theys from Drupal about Drupal's mentoring efforts and how you can make your project more welcoming to new developers.
The episode includes the two interviews and mentions of several topics including the name of the next release of PHP and the announcement of the Symfony Live London 2014 speakers. You can listen to this latest episode either through the in-page player or you can download the audio file for offline listening. If you enjoy the episode, consider subscribing to their feed to get the latest episodes delivered as they're released.
Amazon Web Services Blog:
End of Life of PEAR Channel
August 20, 2014 @ 11:14:18
voice your opinion now!
If you're a user of the Amazon AWS Web Services SDK software and are using the PEAR channel for installing the tool, you'll need to check out this new post to the AWS blog about its retirement.
There's been a noticeable wave of popular PHP projects recently announcing that they will no longer support PEAR as an installation method. Because the AWS SDK for PHP provides a PEAR channel, we've been very interested in the discussion in the community on PEAR channel support. PEAR has been one of the many ways to install the AWS SDK for PHP since 2010. While it's served us well, better alternatives for installing PHP packages are now available (i.e., Composer) and literally all of the PEAR dependencies of the AWS SDK for PHP are no longer providing updates to their PEAR channels.
He goes through several of the major dependencies the AWS SDK has (like Phirum, PHPUnit and Guzzle) and how they've announced the retirement of their own PEAR channels. Updates to the AWS SDK PEAR channel will cease on September 15th, 2014 but will still be available for downloads of older versions of the library. He also links to the location of the latest Phar and Zip archives if you'd like to use those.
Oracle Coherence Blog:
Getting Started With The Coherence Memcached Adaptor (and PHP)
August 20, 2014 @ 10:55:45
voice your opinion now!
As Chris Jones mentions in his latest post to his OTN blog, there's a tutorial that's been posted by David Felcey showing how to get started with Oracle Coherence via the memcached adapter in PHP. Coherence is Oracle's own version of a key/value storage that focuses on performance and scalability.
Coherence 12c (12.1.3) adds support for Memcached clients to directly store data a in Coherence cluster using the Binary Memcached protocol. This post outlines how to configure the Coherence Memcached Adaptor and includes a simple PHP example to show how Memecached clients can connect to a Coherence cluster.
He includes the XML configuration you'll need to create/modify on the Oracle side to make the memcached connections work and explains the different parts. With that in place, he moves on to the PHP example, showing a simple memcached request to store and retrieve a string. It's almost transparent to the PHP user save some of the configuration options required to make it work.
Running Multiple Versions of PHP
August 20, 2014 @ 09:28:57
voice your opinion now!
In the latest post to her site Lorna Mitchell has posted a helpful hint on how you can run multiple versions of PHP at once, mostly how to get the latest version without messing up your current install.
When I advise people about upgrading their PHP version, I say things like "just run your test suite with the new version" "just grab the new version and try your site with the built-in webserver". A couple of people recently have asked for more detail on how to actually achieve these things so here's a quick primer on getting new PHP without touching anything to do with your existing PHP installation.
You'll need a bit of knowledge around compiling software to get the job done, so if you're only used to aptget-ing or yum-ing you might be a little lost. She does include all the commands you'll need including the special "prefix" flag on configure telling it to put PHP in a different location than normal. She also includes a brief test to ensure that it's all up and working (using the built-in web server).
Don't see your event here?
Let us know!